October 05, 2006

Hopping mad

I'm always writing about "our house", but officially, it's not ours yet. We agreed with the owner about the price and when we can move in. You would think those are the most important points.
But it's really getting complicated now!! German bureaucracy!!! Or have you ever heard of Grundbuchauszug (abstract of title), Flurkarte (land register map), Baulastenverzeichnis (register of building charges)? Of Katasteramt (land registry office), Bauamt (building authority), Amtsgericht (district court)?
Well, I have never ever had anything to do with those - and it turns out to be a real bureaucratic nightmare. You spend hours and hours making (useless) phonecalls, trying to find out who can hand you out all of those documents - and especially, when those people are working. E.g. tomorrow, they are open from 9 a.m to 11 a.m and you have to appear personally. Lovely - and how should I manage to get there in time, when I'm working from 8.30 a.m. to 17.00 p.m.?? *grrrrrrrrrrrr*
Sorry for bothering you with this stuff, but I'm a tiny little bit annoyed at the moment. And my dear husband preferred to go on a business trip right now. Good timing!! Telling me: "Oh darling, could you please organize all those documents? You're so good at it!" :-)

I post some more pictures of our lovely home just to make sure it's worth running to any department at any time:

Annexes and courtyard:


























Garden:












"Our" street:

5 comments:

Greg said...

Ugh! Bureaucracy, who needs it? I hate standing in line at the post office. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that.

Here in the US it is customary to have a realtor to handle some of that. They are basically an agent to work on your behalf - for a fee - to collect documents and keep the process moving forward. Then there is also a Title Company who takes care of some of it as well – for a fee. There is a contract between the seller and buyer that determines who pays for what.

So, when do you think it will be yours?

Greg said...

Beautiful street, by the way. It looks like something out of a fairytale.

Anna said...

Hi Greg!

Sorry for the delay of my answer, but your comment was not forwarded and I found it today only by coincidence!?!

In Germany, a lot of people chose to have a realtor, too, but it's usually the decision of the seller. We agreed with the seller not to have one, because it is really (!) expensive to have a realtor working on your behalf (for both sides). But I must admit that I underestimated time and effort needed to organize everything. Well, I'll know better next time ;-)

What exactly is a Title Company?

I think I organized all the important things by now - and next Thursday, the contract will be drawn up before a notary. Exciting!! But we will probably move in only by the end of February. Still ages to go!!

Greg said...

I'm no expert, but as far as I know the title company makes sure the property is officially put in to your name with the county officials. They will also do a title search of the property to make sure someone’s long lost cousin doesn't own 10% of the property, or some other such thing. They cross the 'Ts' and dot the 'Is' to make sure that everyone knows the property is yours free and clear.

Greg said...

Oh, and here it's customary to have two realtors involved. One for the seller and one for the buyer. It can be a nightmare. The going rate is about 6% of the selling price. The seller pays everything and the realtors split the money.

Maybe driving around like you did isn't such a bad thing.