April 20, 2007

Wood floor, part I

As I wrote before, we started off with painting the study. After we finished the painting in salmon, we wanted to rip out this ugly carpet:


Underneath the carpet we found: - another layer of carpet...


And beneath the second carpet we found a really beautiful old wooden floor, hidden away under a layer of red varnish and rests of the carpet's undersurface though...



Alright, I have to put it into perspective: WE thought it a beautiful floor and decided to renovate it. Family and friends reacted about this way: "What a horrible floor, traces of worm holes everywhere and those splinters of wood are dangerous!" Well - the wood worm is long gone and anyway - it's not really a surprise to find traces of a wood worm in such a house, is it? And you can always wear slippers in order to avoid splinters!


First of all - we riped out the whole carpet:


And then I scraped off all the gluey rests of carpet with a hand scraper - quite a tiring work that didn't do any good to my back...



Read about the grinding in the next post...

6 comments:

Kathryn @ Living In Zen said...

I bet your floors are going to be simply stunning when they're done!! BTW, your blog makes me homesick for Germany. I lived there for 6 years as a child.

Anna said...

Hi Kathryn! Thanks for stopping by! May I ask where you lived in Germany?

Joe said...

Old wood floors - how exciting! It's interesting to hear other perspectives on wood floors. I just took my carpet up as well, and personally, I love all the character (gouges, holes, etc.).

Anna said...

Joe - that's exactly what I mean: I love our wood floor BECAUSE it isn't perfect and BECAUSE it shows traces of what it lived to see in the past 100 years (its estimated age). But many people around here don't seem to understand it - in their opinion, it's old and that means it's bad...

Ragnar said...

Yikes! Sanding that whole floor with an orbital sander... an with that paint too! I certainly don't envy you! That stuff is awful, probably classic linseed oil paint (the very same color can be found all around the world, I have seen it in Austria more often than I care for, and even in pictures from the USA)that is close to impossible to get off. Some flooring companies refuse to sand such floors, just because of the paint.

5m boards were nothing special long ago... I saw an old house in Vienna that had random width planks that were around 6m long!

Still... I'd probably have taken the big drum sander.

Anna said...

Hi Ragnar! I'm not sure about that paint because it came off "quite" easily... Anyway, the result is great and that makes you forget most of the work ;).
You started blogging, too? Great! I hope you'll post regularly?