August 12, 2007

Gender equality in diy matters?!?

I can't quite believe that I'm really going to show you this picture of my humble self, but I'm sooooo angry right now.
Why do folks at diy stores ignore women diy-ers? Why do they answer your husband if you asked a question? Why is there a pic of a man on every tool they sell but never one of a woman?
And - and that's the last straw - why do they sell protective clothing and protective shoes beginning with size XL (clothing) or 40 (shoes), whereas women need (on average) size M and 38? Don't we need any protective stuff because we're not worth it? Or are we just not meant to do any work in a house apart from cooking and ironing and cleaning?
And IF they have anything in sizes actually fitting women - why for God's sake is that stuff pink or purple? What the hell do I need a pink tool belt for? Or a pink tool handle that is black after the first "real" use anyway? Why should I like pink qua gender (I do like pink anyway, but that's not the point, is it!?!)?
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there are no differences between men and women, but these pigheaded prejudices and stereotypes and that out-dated role model just drives me mad!

Ok, and now let me show you what a woman really looks like as a diy-er - no glamour, neither chic nor trendy, no pink tools, no make-up, quite scary and sweaty AND - she is thoroughly enjoying herself!!!



By the way - I'm refinishing an old kitchen buffet on that picture, but I'll write about that once it's finished. Apart from spending too much time in diy stores, we are getting a lot done in the house, have been talking to several local companies and craftsmen about a new heating and new/old windows and had to deal with one major disappointment. But more on all that once I calmed down a bit :)

9 comments:

iloveupstate.com said...

I once had a jerk at Lowes refuse to put in my flooring order till he got confirmation from my fiance. I don't think he's ever heard quite so many four letter words in such rapid fire progression...

SmilingJudy said...

Don't know if they'll ship to you, but Duluth Trading (http://www.duluthtrading.com) has a selection of products that cater to women. Plus, they just have some really nifty stuff.

Dulcie said...

Shouldn't you be wearing a frilly apron while you sand that? You look great, and I can't wait to see the finished buffet pictures. :)

Anna said...

iloveupstate: Oh dear, what an idiot! Stupidity seems to be limitless ;)

Judy: Thanks for that link! They have a really interesting assortment, I'll definitely have a closer look at it!

Dulcie: Come on - I tried so hard and put on a pinkish shirt! And now you tell me it's not enough? :) :) Thanks for cheering me up!

Jenny said...

Go Anna!

Them Country Folk: said...

I totally agree re: everything you said. I guess what gets me more is how much I do on my house but any compliments go to him. My husband travels for a living, so in addition to working full time, I do the yard, the mowing (all three acres), the gardens, the sodding, the planting, the mulching, never-ending weeding (and I do mean never ending), the interior and exterior cleaning, dealing with my horrible neighbor, potty training the puppy, grocery shopping, painting, ordering, paying, entertaining, blah blah blah, and then HE gets the credit for all of it? I overheard, "Ole, great job on the house, it's looking really good" the other day, and I almost started crying. In fact, I'll admit it, I giant tear formed in my eye. What do they think I'm doing? Sitting home eating bon bons all day ??? !!!

Anna said...

Oh dear, I know exactly what you mean! Pretty much the same with us, although my husband really does a lot more than I where the major renovations (e.g. putting up new guttering) are concerned. But I'm still doing a lot there, too. And most of the work in the household, and a full time job, and a lot of volontary work and so on...
We had a (male) guest the other day who went on and on "S. you did such a great job on this and that and the other". Looking at me he said: "But Anna, you seem to have some difficulties to cope with all the work in the bigger household."
I really wished he'd get lost in that moment!

So, keep up the great work you're doing - you deserve every compliment for it!

Trudi M said...

In the US, I don't get treated too poorly by the DIY stores, but auto mechanics and business men. Yikes!

Gordon said...

Hi, I am pleased to find this website as for years have had problems being taken seriously with DIY and men..! Nothing against them generally but why they seem to think they have the stage when it comes to DIY. Well girls I have found a new website call i4diy.co.uk designed for the girls and really has opened up diy for me. They also do workshops around the country showing us how to safely use power tools and points I did not know. Run by Amanda Jane (AJ) and her husband who is quite adorable. They will be only too pleased to help. I have noticed the website is down at present think being revamped but please check out. Changed my life and showed me how to make a point to those little men in the DIY stores. Chrissy Gordon.